Friday, December 28, 2007

Boring Work

I was sitting on a window ledge in a crowded room this morning, waiting to be called up so I could get a new drivers license picture. The people around me was rather eclectic; frigidity 16 year olds sat next to wrinkled faces who maybe shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

A mom and her young son walked in to the room, took a number, then began to get comfortable even though the boy was fussy from the start.

As the woman took off her son's puffy winter coat, the four year old cried and wined. "I miss Dadddddyyy!" he exclaimed with tears rolling down his face. "I know you do," his mother quietly replied while wiping her son's waterworks away.

"I really just want to see Daddy!" he said again. The boy's mom grew more embarrassed at the scene her child was making; her eyes began scanning the room to see who was watching the two of them. But her son wouldn't quit.

"I miss Daddy, Mommy! Where is he? Is he at boring work?"
The woman half smiled and replied, "Yes, Daddy is at boring work today."
"Daddy is at boring work today Mommy?" the boy said again, only this time a little louder. His mother nodded, and many of the people around them let out a laugh, myself included.

This little incident in PennDot's crowded room this morning made me think about how many people really do see their daily agenda as "boring work" and only really enjoy life at night and on the weekends. Yet God calls us to delight ourselves in Him and glorify Him in all we do. I hope I can remember that when slow days come around and I'm tempted to see the tasks at hand as menial... ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Piper said, If you have a job you are bored with...quit it and do something with your life that counts...and if your a student and don't have a job yet...dream big dreams...not the American dream.