Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Flight Home

I'm so grateful to have arrived home safe and sound on Sunday night!

The flight from Beijing to Newark passed faster than anticipated, thanks to the combination of an exhausting summer and Tylenol PM. I even avoided turning on my seat's TV screen the entire 13 hours, which I felt very proud of. Sleep and snacking helped to pass the time, as did talking to John, a teenager who sat next to me.

John told me that this was his first time to America, and first time on a plane as well. He seemed a little nervous, and so I did my best to look out for him during the flight.

At one point I woke up to the plane shaking terribly. We were hitting some serious turbulence; it was the worse I have ever experienced.

Without hesitation, I strapped on my seat belt and started praying silently. Dark gray clouds enveloped us outside, and the monitor read that we were over an ocean somewhere near Siberia. Don't know if you've ever been in a situation like that, but that's pretty much the last thing you want to read when your plane feels out of control...

I looked over to John, who looked like a deer caught in headlights. I put my hand on his shoulder and asked him if he was alright.

"I'm a little nervous," he sheepishly admitted in his Chinese accent. "What's wrong?" he asked.

I did my best to explain what turbulence was, and tried to convince him we were going to be fine. John seemed content with my answer, but I wasn't sure that I really was. I continued praying that God would quite literally calm our storm. And during that time, I felt an urgency to share the gospel with John. I really wanted to take hold of the opportunity. But eventually I decided to keep quiet, realizing I might terrorize John if I asked him about the afterlife when our plane seemed rather undependable... ;)

The weather finally settled down, and John and I then began talking about his trip to America and what he wanted to experience here.

We got onto the topic of culture, and I told him that there were some big differences of Americans and the Chinese people.

"Like Jesus..." he said to me.
"What's that?" I asked, wanting to make sure I heard him right.
"Jesus...many Americans believe in Jesus, right? That's what my foreign teacher told me."
"Some do, yes..." I explained, but also told him that being a Christian was about having a relationship with God and not simply believing He exists.

John listened carefully, yet told me he did not believe in Jesus. I explained that it had taken me a long time to decide if I believed in Jesus, but now I know that He is real and He's changed my life.

I thought back to the storm we were in just a little bit ago and told John that even though I was scared, I had peace in my heart because I knew I would be ok even if something went wrong in our plane. I encouraged John to keep thinking about what He believes in, and to ask his foreign teacher more questions about Jesus.

It was so great to have an opportunity to talk with John about Christ. Between having a second opportunity to share the gospel, providing a Christian English teacher, and allowing for several occasions where John and his classmates will visit a church in the states, I have to believe that God is after this kid's heart...

So if you think of it, please pray for John's salvation, and also for continued endurance for the foreign teachers sharing the gospel in closed countries like China...

~Kristen.

(P.S. It's really good to be home!!!! I miss you'd all and can't wait to catch up with everybody really soon!!!)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hello my dear! I've been away a lot in the past month, but I've been able to catch up on your blog and have been very encouraged to see what God is doing in and through you. We definitely need to catch up before you leave again! I will give you a call this week. Love you!

Michelle