Saturday, August 4, 2007

"Dear Mom, thank you for your love"


I'll be honest; there are some mornings that I'd rather sleep than start a new day of camp.
Even though every day brings with it new blessings and joys, it doesn't come without challenge.

Thoughts like, "I'm not sure I feel like getting into my swim suit on this foggy morning to play with the kids" or, "I'd give anything for some fresh warm bread" are the realities of being uncomfortable in China. I can easily grow weary of doing good and have my thoughts turn inward instead of to others. Yet my perspective deeply changed yesterday when I read an orphan's goodbye letter to me...

Her words were penned in Chinese, but with tears in my eyes I read the English translation aloud,

"Dear Kristen sister,

I am really happy to be with you. Sister, it makes me really sad to leave you; I will remember all of you, everything. And you, you are wearing my bracelet which is carrying my whole heart. So no matter what, you're supposed to remember me. I hope when you're not happy, you can overcome it by thinking of me.

Sister, although you're only 21, although I call you big sister all the time, I do want to call you Mom, a very young Mom. From you, I get a special love which never happened before. I love you, Mom!

We are going to keep in touch after I leave. I will write letters to you.

One more time, I love you, forever, very much love! Dear Mom, thank you for your love. ~Sierra."

After I reread her letter again today, I turned to Christ in prayer and thanked Him for His love for me. Without Jesus, I wouldn't be capable to love these orphans. I love because He first loved me.

These kids are desperate for love. I learned that one little girl had watched her father kill her mother when she was only five years old. She is now eight, with no living mother and an abusive father in jail. And she is just one of millions of stories that are nearly too sad to be told. Yet people must know.

Please pray about what you can do for the orphans of the world.

It makes a difference....







1 comment:

Emily said...

aww those kids are so cute kristen :) i'm glad they're blessing you as much as you're blessing them..miss you!