Saturday, July 26, 2008

snapshots of camp :)

c'mon, how cute are our kids??


thomas (resident austrailian cuteness and fried chicken lover) playing chinese checkers :)


clark getting his translator certificate...amazingness!

team meeting...i love these people

my family group from week 1...
wanda...who i'm convinced is one of the cutest kids on the planet

a story about wanda from my journal...

“There’s a little nine year old girl with cerebral palsy here named Wanda. She is probably the cutest kid I have ever seen…ever. She is so precious and her smile is magical. The other night I was helping her balance on a chair during assembly, and she looked like she was going to burst with JOY! She turned to Vincent and said, “Gege (big brother), I have never played this happily before!” It was amazing.

Last night I watched Wanda while the translators had their meeting. As the movie played, she complied as I cradled her mellow body in my arms. I rocked at patted her. I felt her body become heavier, and I knew it wasn’t long before she would be asleep. She slept in my arms for about an hour, and I was so thankful to God that He created this precious treasure, and that I was able to spend time with her. Eventually something woke her up, and she looked up at me confused. Haylee (another girl at camp) got a marker and paper for Wanda to color. She sat up and eagerly took the marker in her left hand and began to draw. I watched her tightened muscles try to cooperate with her mind as she tried to stay within the lines. The fact that this angel was crippled broke my heart. My eyes welled with tears that I convinced myself to not let out.

I see such pain here, yet such beauty too. Wanda is a precious picture of those two things combined. She’s a treasure that I’m so glad is in my life…”

5 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. My husband, Pete, is in Beijing right now. He's making the trip to the university tomorrow evening. Is that where you are? If so then he will be joining you. I can't wait to read his blog to see what God is going to do....praying for you and the others!

Kim P.
www.journeytohannah.com

Anonymous said...

Looking at the faces of the girls (dressed up") and the joy on the face of Wanda...the following came to mind. "YOU have turned my mourning into dancing and you have loosed my sackcloth and CLOTHED me with GLADNESS. Weeping may tarry for the night but JOY comes with the morning.
Psalm 30
Much love and grace,
Marmie

Nicole 妮可 said...

hey hun
thanks so much for sharing... i miss you guys but am so happy to hear of all G is doing!
say hey to everyone!
i love you!
nicole

Anonymous said...

Hi

You blog is a blessing to us to be able see all the children. Sorry it is raining but i am sure the sun is shinning in your hearts. Say Hi to the Owen Sound team for me especially Chris M Mothers always seem to know where they are. Bless all of you and i am praying for all of you

Elizabeth

Hon's Daddy said...

I know that feeling of gratitude for these treasures. I get it any time I hold one of my girls!