Thursday, May 24, 2007

Just call me Veruca...

A song from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory ran through my mind today...It was the tune that the spoiled character Veruca sang as she was denied a golden egg. Her demands were so unreasonable, and I was humbled in realizing how similar my heart can be before God.

Part of me chuckled at my foolishness, but I also was sad to see how arrogant I am. Maybe I haven't asked for the same things Veruca insisted for (though, I might be lying if I said I've never prayed for ten thousand tons of ice cream ;) but my heart can be in the same place, wanting unwise things I'd never need. I can hear my voice echo hers...


"I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons and a million balloons
And performing baboons and ...
Give it to me
Now!

I want the world
I want the whole world
I want to lock it all up in my pocket
It's my bar of chocolate
Give it to me
Now!

I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear 'em like braids in my hair
And I don't want to share 'em

I want a party with room fulls of laughter
Ten thousand tons of ice cream
And if I don't get the things I am after
I'm going to scream!

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes
And now
Don't care how
I want it now
Don't care how
I want it now!"

Instead, I wish that I could emulate Paul's example from Philippians 4:11-13. He says,

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of acing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."


I am grateful that God is so gracious to help me change a demanding selfish heart to one that is content and satisfied with Him alone!

1 comment:

yum7 said...

hi kristen!
i didn't know you had created a blog! =) i can't believe you've kept up w/ mine!
yours is so pretty.
gosh, i miss being in china. i can't wait to go back.
it was GREAT hearing from you!